These vegetarian tofu banh mi are Vietnamese-inspired sandwiches. it was mixture of something ‘chewy’,something ‘sweet and sour',something crunchy and topped with something ‘spicy’.
Yield: 2 servings
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
• 1 long baguette
• 1 small cucumbers, thinly sliced
• Small bunch of coriander
• ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise (Combine 50g tofu and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a blender for about 30 seconds and slowly add ½ cup Biogreen 100% Organic Virgin Coconut Oil until emulsified and the mixture thickens)
• Paprika or chili powder
• 2 tablespoons Biogreen Bio-Enzymes Vinegar (dissolve in 120ml water)
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
• ½ tablespoon Etblisse Organic Unrefined Coconut Sugar
• ¼ teaspoon Biogreen New Zealand Organic Ocean Balance Sea Salt
• ¼ cup shredded carrot
• ¼ cup shredded daikon radish
• 200g firm tofu, sliced into 4 pieces (8mm thick)
• ½ tablespoon rice wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon Biogreen Organic Blackstrap Molasses
• ½ tablespoon ground black pepper
• ½ teaspoon ginger powder
• 2 tablespoons Biogreen 100% Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, for frying
1. Combine the Bio-Enzymes vinegar, rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl or jar. Stir in the carrots and daikon radish. Set aside for at least 1 hour or overnight in the fridge.
2. Preheat the oven to 150oC. Prepare your baguette by dividing into desired sandwich sizes and slicing in half. Place baguette on baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes, set aside to cool for 2-3 minutes.
3. In a shallow dish, add soy sauce, ground black pepper and ginger powder and mix until all combined.
4. Thinly slice the tofu and add to the marinade. Marinate for 15-20 minutes.
5. Fry the sliced tofu with coconut oil until browned and crispy.
6. Spread vegan mayo on both sides of the bread.
7. Fill the bread with tofu, cucumber and coriander.
8. Drain carrot and radish mixture, then spread on sandwich.
9. Sprinkle paprika or chili powder on top before serving (optional).
♥ Biogreen New Zealand Organic Ocean Balance Sea Salt is a healthy table salt replacement as it contains more calcium, magnesium and other minerals than table salt. Theses minerals serve to regulate sodium level in our body for better management of blood pressure.
♥ Biogreen Bio-Enzymes Vinegar contains apple cider vinegar, in which its acetic acid content could help lowering blood pressure by suppressing the activity of renin, an enzyme that raises blood pressure by constricting the blood vessels.
♥ Biogreen Organic Blackstrap Molasses can be used as marinade to replace dark soy sauce that is normally high in sodium. It is a mineral-loaded sweetener that favours heart health when used as replacement for refined sugar.