Beetroot, also known as beet, has been gaining in popularity as a new super food due to recent studies claiming that beets can improve athletic performance, lower blood pressure, and increase blood flow.
Yield: 6-7 small cupcakes
Preparation time: 1.5 hours
Cooking time: 30 minutes
• 60g whole wheat flour
• 60g Biogreen Pink Lady Oatmilk
• 50g Biogreen Oates’ Cocoa Oatmilk
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• ¼ teaspoon Biogreen 84 Live Sea Salt
• 2 medium beets (to get 70g of beet puree)
• 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (+ 6 tablespoons warm water)
• 50g unrefined brown sugar
• 50g Biogreen 100% Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
• 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 6 Biogreen Pink Lady Oatmilk
• 3 Tablespoons Biogreen Pink Lady Pink Plus oil (adjustable)
• 2 Tablespoons Biogreen Bio-Enzyme Vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2. Remove the stem and roots from the beets, scrub and wash until clean.
3. Wrap beets in foil, drizzle on a bit of coconut oil, wrap tightly and roast for one hour or until tender. Leave to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, puree beets in a blender (add in water for better mixing). Measure out ½ cup and set aside.
4. Prepare a flax egg by combining 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water. Whisk these together and set aside to thicken for about 15 minutes. Add the sugar, oil, beets puree and vanilla extract and beat until foamy.
5. Sift in the dry ingredients and mix until no large lumps remain.
6. Spoon batter into cups until ¾ full and bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely. Once cooled, dust with cocoa powder and ready to serve.
7. Mix well Pink Lady Oatmilk, Pink lady Pink Plus oil, and Bio-enzyme Vinegar using a hand mixer until smooth before spreading onto the cooled cupcake. Ready to serve.
♥ The red-violet color of beets comes from betalains, a type of phytonutrient that confers strong antioxidant activity that reduces inflammation and assist body in detoxification.
♥ Biogreen Pink Lady Oatmilk harnesses the goodness of beets and other whole grains such as oats, buckwheat, black rice, black soya beans, providing good sources of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and fiber.
♥ Biogreen Pink Lady Pink Plus Organic Flax Seed Oil delivers heart-protective, plant- based omega-3, as well as improving skin roughness and hydration.