Chinese steamed bun also known as ‘mantou’, which are plain steamed buns without any fillings and traditionally consumed in Northern China as a staple food. It is usually made using all-purpose flour, yeast and water.
Yield: 6 pieces
Preparation time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
• 200g all-purpose flour
• 100g Biogreen 5 Grain Oatmilk
• 1½ teaspoon instant yeast
• 150ml warm water
• Biogreen 84 Live Sea Salt (as needed)
1. Mix the yeast into warm water (~35°C), mix well and set aside for 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients together.
3. Pour the yeast mixture slowly into the flour mixture and stir with a whisk or spatula.
4. Using hands or a stand mixer, knead the flour into smooth and soft dough.
5. Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for around 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size.
6. On a floured surface, roll the dough into a long log around 1 inch in diameter, cut the log to pieces about 1 inch thick.
7. Place the buns in lined steamers one by one, cover and set up in a wok filled with cold water.
8. Let them rest for around 10 minutes.
9. On high heat, bring water to a boil and continue to steam for around 20 -25 minutes.
10. Remove from heat and wait for around 5 minutes before opening the lid. It is ready to serve!
♥ By adding Biogreen 5 Grain Oatmilk, these traditional Chinese steamed buns are packed with fibre, calcium and rich in plant-based omega-3. It is best to serve as a hearty and diabetes-friendly breakfast to kick-start your day!
♥ Biogreen O’Blue Organic Agave Nectar is processed at lower temperature (<60°C) to preserve its natural enzymes and nutritional quality. Its low glycaemic and high inulin fibre features permit slower digestion and absorption, minimising a spike in post-meal blood sugar level, making it a healthier alternative to sugar.