Well prepped before facing the mountain of delicacies
During the holidays, overeating and excess alcohol intake can slow down metabolism and may cause the occurrence of edema, gassiness and sleep disturbances. The unexplainable sluggishness and fatigueness may be caused by the increased toxins our body has to deal with. Fortunately, detoxification can help the body return to its original state and a good way to press the “restart” button for our body.
Speaking about the CNY dishes, most are covered in sauces and cooked in unhealthy ways. Well, while we can indulge in such a feast once in a while, our digestive system surely cannot handle such stress all at once especially when there is a lack of the greens in the menu.
So in order for us to enjoy all the delicacies, we should prepped our body with all the nutrients first and a last minute detox doesn’t sound half as bad given that with a healthier gut, we can ensure less risk in the occurrence of indigestion.
Detox foods to look out for
Proper detoxification can improve overall health and bring various psychological and physical benefits. Detoxification, when performed efficiently, reduces the amount of toxins in the body and naturally provides the body with everything it needs to detoxify optimally. If done correctly, we will feel more energetic, less bloated and notice improved mental clarity. Detox may also help in reducing sugar cravings.
Lemons are the IT food when it comes to detoxification as it helps to prevent bloating and indigestion. Lemons are also easily accessible and portable where you can just chug in few slices of lemon into a water bottle to bring along with you.
Another great detox superstar would be green tea. Green tea is packed with antioxidants such as polyphenols and flavonoids which help in supporting our body’s normal detox system and overall wellbeing.
Eat more greens
When it comes to detoxification how can we miss the inclusion of green leafy vegetables? These vitamins and antioxidant rich foods help us to protect from the free-radical damage. Speaking of greens, barley grass and wheatgrass hands down are the go-to ingredients for a good detox juice. Both barley grass and wheatgrass are known for their detoxifying properties. Their potent antioxidant activity works to support the body’s natural detoxification mechanisms by flushing out toxins and reducing their harmful effect on the body. They are also rich in superoxide dismutase (SOD), which is an enzyme that helps in accelerating antioxidant activities.
Detox with supergreen soymilk
Biogreen Supergreen Soymilk Powder uniquely blends organic soybeans with young shoots of barley and wheat grass measuring 20-30 centimetres, delivering minerals, chlorophyll and antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase. These nutrients aid in healthy aging and body functioning.
Wheat and barley grasses are known as ‘superfoods’ that contains more than 120 types of nutrients which includes chlorophyll & SOD antioxidant enzyme for anti-aging. It also helps in supporting liver detoxification which is the food that you are looking for to prep yourself well before and throughout Chinese New Year!
This article is written by Sylvia Ho (Nutritionist) for Green Image Organic Enterprise Sdn. Bhd
- Zeng, Y., Pu, X., Yang, J., Du, J., Yang, X., Li, X., ... & Yang, T. (2018). Preventive and therapeutic role of functional ingredients of barley grass for chronic diseases in human beings. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity, 2018.
- Sandoval, D. (2010). The green foods bible: Everything you need to know about barley grass, wheatgrass, kamut, chlorella, spirulina and more. SCB Distributors.
- Steph, W. by. (n.d.). What are the health benefits of wheatgrass and barley grass and are they gluten free? Rheal. Retrieved December 8, 2022, from https://rhealsuperfoods.com/blogs/news/what-are-the-benefits-of-wheatgrass-and-barley-grass#:~:text=Their%20potent%20antioxidant%20activity%20works,%2C%20flavonoids%2C%20polyphenols%20and%20chlorophyll.
- Khim, K. B. Pigged out over Chinese New Year? Here's how to help the over-indulgence. CNA Lifestyle. Retrieved December 8, 2022, from https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/wellness/how-to-get-over-the-chinese-new-year-indulgence-overeating-222606
- MediLexicon International. (n.d.). Detoxing foods: What are they? what are the benefits? learn more here. Medical News Today. Retrieved December 8, 2022, from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/detoxing-foods